Thursday, January 14, 2010

ahh the joys of teaching 4th grade...

Today and yesterday were parent teacher conferences...SO tiring! It was good though to sit down and talk with all the parents. I am loving my job. It's refreshing (and exhausting) to work with kids everyday. It puts in to perspective what really matters and how the most simple things in life are the most important.

When I was student teaching in kindergarten, I told myself that I was going to write down the little funny comments the kids say throughout the day. I swear I could write a very entertaining book. I never got around to doing it, but I really need to start. They say the funniest things. I miss kindergarten for that reason. In fourth grade, they still say funny things from time to time, but nothing like 5 year olds. Although I miss the little ones, I'm loving 4th grade. It is SO much easier in so many ways. (No wiping noses, tying shoes, zipping up coats, dealing with "accidents" and so on.) The kids are A LOT more independent, which makes a huge difference.

I thought I'd share some funny quotes/stories of my 4th grade adventure so far...

"teacher?? can i call you mustard?"
"mustard???...why???"
"because your hair looks like mustard!"

"see mom, i told you my teacher was a teenager!!"

"is Santa real??"
"yes I have seen proof when I was little one Christmas morning"
"really??"
then I told them a story...after i was done a little boy says as serious as can be...
"Welp...that's it! That proves it, he's real!"

"teacher... I've got a girlfriend. She's in 3rd grade and she's HOT!"

While teaching health (always an adventure with 4th graders) we were learning about the digestive system (so much fun, ahahaha). I was trying to be "politically correct" and use correct terms so when i said "bowel movement" a few kids knew what that meant and started to giggle. I tried to ignore it and move on but no, they wouldn't have it. One little girl asks "what's a bowel movement?" and that's when I lost them. A little boy decided he'd answer for her and says, "It's when you poop!" then he does the funniest laugh I have ever heard "huah... huah... huah..." it was this low slow motion old man chuckle, and I couldn't help it and busted out laughing. Really this isn't funny, bowel movements and all, but the way he answered and then chuckled after just set me off. Then the whole class started laughing and I lost all control.

Those are just some that have happened lately. I am going to try to be better about writing things down, because that's half the fun of teaching kids.

We are coming to Utah in the morning, YAY!! I'm so excited. My brother, Matthew is leaving on his mission next Wednesday, and his farewell is on Sunday. I'm so excited for him! It's really weird that I won't see him for two years. I'm going to miss him!!

Well I'm off to bed. I'm soooooo tired. Long day. Hard workout after work, then cleaned the house and did laundry all night...EXHAUSTING!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Look at you....Mrs. Maynard! Thats crazy! i bet you are the cutest fourth grade teacher ever! Sounds like a fun and entertaining job! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha that cracks me up! I love the mustard comment too, hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the running shoes advice! I could use all the help I can get :) Oh and how fun is it that you are a 4th grade teacher!! I love that grade!

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones